UPDATE- 8/13/21. Nala arrived to NY July 12, 2021 along with Olivia an Anise of Peru. Since arriving she has been under the watchful eyes of master fosters, Jen & Jay. After multiple consults, the decision for surgery over a prosthetic was reached.
Help us get Nala the medical care she’s been waiting for. After our consultation with our board certified specialty surgeon, it has been decided that a prosthetic is not the best option. There is no tissue or extra skin and she has exposed bone therefore a prosthetic could cause further damage to the area! The risk for infection is high, and could easily result in a forced emergency surgery as well as the possibility of turning septic.
In addition, doctors agree that leaving the portion of the remaining limb would continue to throw off her balance and risk further complications with her spine and gait as she attempts to use a leg that is unusable.
Amputation was the original course upon rescue in Peru, however Nala’s blood count was so low and she had severe anemia. A surgery was too risky as the resources in Peru are limited for critical surgical conditions.
The best decision for Nala is to completely remove the remaining portion of her leg, so she can attain better balance, and have no risk of chronic infections and/or residual painfrom pressure on a prosthetic.
We opted to do it as soon as possible and she is having surgery TODAY! We want her to begin recovery as soon as possible without further damage to her spine or other limbs.
Please donate to Nala’s long awaited corrective surgical procedure.
This tiny puppy was deliberately harmed! At 2 months old, Nala had her front paw CUT OFF by evil adults! Edith reached us to ask if we could help her try to save Nala. Locals told Edith about Nala and that it was done deliberately. We can’t wrap our heads around the evil that lives in some hearts.
Please consider making a donation to Nala or our Travel Fund to help get Nala here and continue to get her the care that she needs.
NALA NEEDS TO FLY ASAP! In light of the most recent announcement of CDC restrictions, we are frantic over trying to get some of our dogs that have been waiting to travel here before mid July date! We have multiple dogs in Peru that are ready to travel but need your help. Costs for transportation range $1200-$1500 per animal if live cargo transport is needed. OR if we can find a human travel buddy costs are less and the dog can stay in cabin if size permits. Baby Nala and a few others really need you NOW!
Please let Nala have the opportunity be fitted for a prosthetic and to have a forever family, Nala needs to come to the states. We are actively trying to configure the safest and best travel plan for our little girl. We reached out to a stateside prosthetic professional for their opinion for a device for her front limb. There are no local professional that can accommodate Nala in Peru. She received her rabies vaccine and other age appropriate boosters which means she is ready to travel to the states.